Trainee Buyer (Materials)
Purpose of the Job:
As a Trainee Buyer based at our Huntingdon Office, your role will be to assist the Buying Department in the
gathering, analysis & submission of material prices for tender submissions, and the physical purchases for live
sites. Whilst working within our well-established company, you will gain key knowledge and experience in a
thriving and supportive environment.
• Assisting the Buying Department at tender stage by sending price enquiries for materials to prospective
suppliers and analysing responses.
• Working with experienced team members to develop knowledge of the responses and all the variables
of the supply to suggest appropriate material rates for the tender submission.
• Develop a working knowledge of the different materials required for our core activity, and the
characteristics of each.
• Assisting the Buying Department at live project stage by liaising with suppliers who quoted at tender
stage to negotiate and progress quotations provided, attempting to secure best value for the business.
• To develop skills in using Coins ERP platform through in-house and external training.
• Develop the key people skills required to maintain effective and strategic relationships with suppliers
• Bring new technology ideas to the company as appropriate.
• Develop an understanding of technical drawings and specifications and be able to extract what is
required from each.
This list of tasks is not exhaustive and other day to day tasks and requirements will be required as appropriate.
Working hours for this role are 8.30am – 5.30pm – Monday to Friday inclusive, overtime may be requested
during busy periods.
This role will be based at the Huntingdon office but there will be a requirement to visit the regional offices and
sites when working on specific projects.
Skills and Interests:
The role involves working with everyone in the business, the most important skills are demonstrated through
excellent organisational and communication abilities and working well with people. Other key areas required
• Excellent IT skills with experience of Word, Excel, Outlook, Access & Sharepoint desirable.
• Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent time management skills.
• A team player who is able to develop good relationships with fellow team members at all levels with
strong communication and time management skills.
• Educated to A Level or higher desirable.
• Willing to undertake further education, such as HNC, Civil Engineering Degree and to gain Professional
membership to related organisations (optional but preferred).